Monday, November 25, 2013

Bringing Back the Fanny Pack



Burn Notice. You watch it? The series came to an end earlier this year, but Mike and I have been watching it since season one. There's so much to love about it--the characters, the plot, the action, the humor, the fashion and the useful spy tips. It's just a quality show. Mike and I are still mourning the loss of new episodes, so we've been watching it from season one all over again when there's nothing else on TV.

I don't mind telling you that 26-year-old me idolizes Fiona Glenanne, a fictional character played by Garbielle Anwar. Fiona is a strong, sassy, intelligent, hot-headed Irish woman who knows her way around explosives and guns. Not to mention her rockin' body. That girl is FIT. I should litter my home, office and car with photos of her as inspiration to not eat junk and to work out.

So not only did I fall in love with Fiona, but I fell in love with her purse. It was like a modern fanny pack. Leather, worn around the waist, adorable. Not at all like the touristy fanny pack you're picturing. I just had to have one, so I turned to my friend Google and together we found it. And then, Mike bought it for me for Christmas. (We exchanged gifts in September this year... Waiting 'til Christmas is hard, OK?!)

It's made by a company called Happy Cow in Australia. You can see the bag Fiona wears here: http://www.happycow.com.au/products/leather-hip-bags.html. The one I settled on is a bit different. It's essentially the same, but it's convertible--meaning the strap has little spinning buckles that attach to the bag so it can be worn on my waist or shoulder comfortably. This is mine: http://www.happycow.com.au/products/convertible-bags-leather-hip-bags-buy-online-793.html.

I just love it. It has forced me to downsize. I usually carry big, big bags and fill it with everything imaginable. It feels GREAT to minimize. I only carry what I need. I eliminated my makeup bag, my planner, etc and don't miss any of it. My new bag fits my wallet, my birth control, my phone, a pen, lip gloss and even my LCP when I choose to not carry it on me. Carrying it around my waist is SO convenient when I'm out and about. I never liked to set my purse in my shopping cart because someone could easily grab it and run (paranoid...). I started to buckle my purse into the child seat, but then I was scared someone could just stick their hand in and go. Or, casually just switch carts if I wasn't paying attention. So I always carried my luggage, I mean purse, and it could be such a nuisance when it'd fall down my shoulder and knock products off the shelf. I would also hit other shoppers with it a lot in passing. Woops.

About a month after using it, I was a bit bummed, because the magnetic snap on the front broke, but Mike fixed it and it hasn't come apart since--whew. The only design flaw is the inside pocket on the flap. It is upside down... When you are wearing the bag on your waist or shoulder, if you open the pocket, anything in it will come falling out (darn gravity). I just so happen to keep a panty liner and tampon or two in there, so I don't access it too often, but wouldn't exactly want a panty liner to float to the ground in the check out line at the store... 

Below  you can see what I mean...


I opted to get the convertible bag because I wanted it to sit properly if I was just grabbing it to go to work. I don't need it wear it on my waist to just sit in the car and office. Plus, this way I can just keep it sized to my waist and use the clips to wrap it on my waist, opposed to actually using the belt. Seemed quicker to me. 

Anyway, the message for the day is to watch Burn Notice, fall in love with Fiona and get a hip bag. You can also fall in love with Michael Weston. He's the main character... He's also pretty darn handsome. I wouldn't mind littering my home, office and car with photos of him for inspiration either...

No comments:

Post a Comment