Friday, February 10, 2012

Garbage Warning

I was cooking dinner when there was a soft knock at my apartment door. It was the property manager, there to tell me not to set my garbage next to the dumpster. Apparently the garbage men had a fit, made her dig through my garbage to find out whose it was so they could fine me $50. She kindly convinced them not to charge me. From now on, I need to truck the garbage over to another dumpster, or chuck it on top of the already overflowing tower of trash. The funny thing is, when I took the garbage out, I really thought about it. I thought putting it on the ground, leaning up against the dumpster, was better than having it teeter on the top of the pile, since the cover wouldn't close. I see other garbage bags sitting on the ground from time to time... I don't know if they fall off the top of the garbage stack, or someone places them there. I wish I thought to say it must have fallen. Obviously I need to practice my lying-on-the-spot skills! Not to mention brushing up on my citations/fine knowledge. 

She left just in time for my pot of water and milk to bubble over on the stove, causing a smokey, burnt mess. Awesome.

Ever since she told me she went through my garbage, I've been racking my brain trying to remember if anything extremely gross was in it. I just remember that this particular bag was leaking, so it was double bagged. I had to clean out the garbage can too. If the garbage men were the ones issuing the fine, I don't understand why they didn't search it. I'm assuming I had an envelope in there, giving away my identity. I'm usually pretty good about recycling paper, though... I feel so bad the manager had to investigate my empty wrappers, unwanted food and dirty paper towels. Yuck!

As a side note, I reported my heating problem on January 20th, had two follow-up conversations about it with the manager, and it's still whistling so loud it wakes me up in the middle of the night. Either Mike or I get up one to two times a night to adjust the thermostat. No big deal. Who needs a full night of sleep anyway?  

No comments:

Post a Comment